Time9:00 am - 1:00 pm
Summer Sustainable Learning at The Farm at Water’s Edge
Weaving Wisdom at The Farm is happening again! The Pacific Northwest Salmon Center is offering your child the opportunity to participate in learning activities scheduled throughout the summer at the Farm At Water’s Edge, adjacent to the beautiful Theler Wetlands.
The Salmon Center facility will be an extended learning lab, where your child will have access to planting space in the certified organic garden, a class/craft room, and the magnificent grounds of the farm itself. In addition, we will utilize the Timberland Library for research on environmental issues and have one session at Twanoh State Park. Our program is open to students in grades 2-5, usually contains 15 students, and will conclude with an evening celebration and display of student art, research, writings, and crafts!
Here is the proposed schedule, 9:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m., including lunch (bring your own) and journaling:
- Wednesday, June 19, introducing the program, observational walk, gardening, reflective journaling
- Friday, June 21, gardening, weaving, discussing/choosing environmental issue of concern
- Wednesday, June 26, gardening, weaving, plant identification/pressing, fun activity, journaling
- Friday, June 28, gardening, walk to &back for research at Timberland Library (10:00-12:00), lunch
- Wednesday, July 3, gardening, quick forming concrete art, wetlands walk, lunch, and journaling
- Wednesday, July 10, gardening, plant identification, water coloring and/or environmental game
- Friday, July 12, gardening, walk to &back for research at Timberland Library (10-12), lunch
- Wednesday, July 17, gardening, environmental activity, concrete art, lunch, journaling
- Friday, July 19, gardening, walk to/from Library (10-12), lunch/journaling
- Wednesday, July 24, gardening, exploring Sweet Water Creek, lunch, journaling
- Friday, July 26, gardening, walk to Library, research, walk back to Farm, lunch, journaling
- Wednesday, July 31, gardening, plant identification, environmental themed activity
- Friday, Aug. 2, gardening, walk to Library, research, walk back to Farm, lunch, journaling
- Wednesday, Aug. 7, gardening, paper Mache w/found objects, environmental game
- Friday, Aug. 9, meet at Twanoh State Park, explore shore &riparian habitats, lunch, parent pick-up
- Wednesday, Aug. 14, gardening, photography, plant identification, lunch, journaling
- Friday, Aug. 16, gardening, wood art, environmental game, lunch, journaling
- Wednesday, Aug. 21, gardening, concrete art, writing/working on reports based on our research
- Friday, Aug. 23, gardening, art project of choice, environmental activity, prep. for reports
- Wed. Aug. 28, gardening, preparing for market/presentations/concert
- Thursday, Aug. 29, 5:00 pm set-up, 6:00 concert/picnic on the lawn, market, presentations
- Friday, Aug. 30, gardening, clean-up, play, evaluation, and “good-byes”, final lunch
Regular attendance is desirable, but not mandatory. Because we are growing vegetables and herbs, some planting may occur earlier by the Belfair Elementary School Environmental Studies Club and harvesting may extend into the fall.
The cost for this program is $320 which includes most necessary materials for the participants. For our photography session, students will need to bring a camera. Transportation must be provided to and from the farm or other destinations, and each child should bring a lunch. Please return a completed Registration Form and Medical Form along with your check by mail or in person to the Pacific Northwest Salmon Center:
Pacific Northwest Salmon Center
600 NE Roessel Road (Physical)
PO Box 2169 (Mailing)
Belfair, WA 98528
Call our office at (360) 275-3575 Ext. 15 for more information. We hope your child will be able to join us for this exciting program for our students and community.
Note: The North Mason School District does not endorse or sponsor this program and is not responsible for its operation, content or actions. Furthermore the school district does and will disclaim all warranties, express or implied and assumes no liability to any party for any damages arising out of or in connection with the activities.