Common nicknames for all 5 Pacific salmon:
- Chinook are also known as “kings” for their large size, or “springers,” or “springs” for early returning Chinook.
- Coho are also referred to as “silvers” for their brilliant appearance in the salt water.
- Pinks are sometimes known as “humpies” or “humpbacks” because of the large hump they develop prior to spawning.
- Chum are also known as “dogs” for their large teeth developed during spawning or “calicos” for the pattern of their spawning colors.
- Sockeye are sometimes called “reds” because of their ultra-red spawning coloration.